Lusanga being the sole suppliers of FLEXCO products (mechanical splices, Belt Cleaning Products, and tracking devices) into the Zambian and DRC mining environment since 1995 have gained vast experience with conveyor maintenance problems. The Lusanga Conveyor Department was established in 2003, born from the current need from mining clientele for engineering services in regards to maintenance and refurbishment of existing conveyance systems. Lusanga set forth to establish themselves as the major contractor concentrating on conveyance systems, bringing latest conveyor technologies to major mining companies.
Lusanga has set out to identify the latest technologies in regards to product performance and cost effectiveness, and has established distributor Agreements with leading companies operating in this field. A listing of these companies can be found in the Lusanga Product Range. Since its inception the Lusanga Conveyor Division has refurbished ±38 conveyance systems for Mopani copper mines, both surface and underground and has thereafter established maintenance contracts after completion of these refurbishments having given an undertaking to ensure an availability of the systems of ±95%. Lusanga since 2005 has maintained an availability of these conveyors on maintenance contracts of ±99%.
On completion of these successful refurbishments of existing conveyance systems and the excellent maintenance services provided, Lusanga was approached by Mopani to fabricate and erect new systems for the MCM Oxide Circuit at Nkana Mine incorporating the Lusanga proven product range. Lusanga completed the Oxide circuit project in October 2006 on time and within budget. Contract value ± USD 600k Based on the previous successes at MCM, KCM approached Lusanga for our assistance with a 30 year Mill feed conveyor problem that was after several attempts at fixing continuing to plague their production through put at the Nchanga East Mill Concentrator ( 10 Bin discharge chutes + 7 conveyors). Lusanga with Devacon surveyed the system; Bulk flow tested the material, and made recommendations for the resolving of this continuous production issue.
Subsequently, Lusanga was awarded the contract and has in October 2007, commissioned Phase 1 of the project
being one Horizontal belt feeder (inclusive bin feed chutes) and one incline mill feed conveyor. This system is performing higher than KCM’s expectations and has increased production throughput by 100%.
Contract value ± USD 700k MCM requested Lusanga to become involved in the new Mufulira West Heap Leach Project, for which conveyance systems was an integral part of an in plant system. Lusanga on the recommendation from it’s RSA principal Lorbrand, engaged a Design Engineering company (DEVACON RSA) to consult in this respect and was instrumental to the plant layout and design concept for the conveyance systems.
Lusanga in the face of international competition was awarded the contract in April 2007, and has in October 2007 commissioned the project (inclusive of design, fabrication, and erection of ±220 tons of conveyance systems and supporting structures (Primary Bin, Secondary Crusher Building, and Triple Deck Screen Building) Contract value ± USD 2,5 Million
Lusanga has incorporated MapTSoft Radio Frequency Identification on all components (rolls, belt splices, pulleys, belt cleaning products, etc) of the Mufulira Heap Leach System, in view of streamlining Maintenance tracking and reporting for the systems lifespan. This new generation of maintenance tracking will enable the mine operational team and senior management to monitor the performance of products installed on the system and ensures the highest cost return of capital expenditure for the project’s success.
Lusanga and its principal’s are in the forefront of this technological innovation which will revolutionize maintenance reporting and capital item tracking to the finest detail. Both MCM and KCM have expressed major interest in pursuing this new technology in their current and future operations, furthermore Anglo American Coal division has expressed interest and offered two mines for trial run of this technology. A demonstration of MapTsoft is available on request at the RSA head Office.
A future development in Lusanga is for total ownership of conveyance systems, for which mining clients will only pay a tonnage rate of usage. Lusanga feels this is the next evolutionary step in regards to conveyor maintenance and service provision and long term partnerships with major mining houses.
- Conveyor belting – Sole agent for Zambia/DRC of Oriental Rubber brand belting.
- Conveyor Rolls – Sole agent for agent for Zambia/DRC of Lorbrand Steel rolls/frames and Lorbrand Composite HDPE/Nylon rolls
- Conveyor BCP’s – Sole agent for agent for Zambia/DRC of Flexco Products including Mechanical fasteners, Belt cleaning products, tracking devices, and skirting systems
- Conveyor Pulleys – Sole agent for agent for Zambia/DRC of Bosworth Pulleys RSA
- Screw take-ups– Agent for agent for Zambia/DRC of Dymot technologies.
- Conveyor RFID Tracking – Sole agent for agent for Zambia/DRC of MapTsoft maintenance and tracking technologies.
- Conveyor Pulley Lagging / Cold Splicing – Rubber lagging and solutions, along with Nordbak Ceramic lagging, and Oriental Rubber Lagging products.
- Engineering re-specification of existing conveyance systems
- Process Engineering analysis of existing facilities
- Re-design of existing Conveyance systems
- Maintenance services for existing conveyor systems
- Turnkey design and erection of conveyance systems and associated in plant equipment and structures.
- Fitment and commissioning of conveyor products listed above
- Cold Splicing and Mechanical splicing of conveyor belting
- Pulley lagging insitu